Yahoo again

Post Your Views With Fellow Yazak Forum Members About Yahoo BUT KEEP YOUR POSTS CLEAN!
sir_kick

Yahoo again

Post by sir_kick » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:56 am

i am having trouble getting in to rooms the only rooms i can get into is th pickup bar rooms is it me or is it yahoo is yahoo up to its regular tricks again whe u can't get into rooms

storm

Post by storm » Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:22 pm

It's being said that after yahoo changed to the captcha (alpha-numeric code) room entry - the spammers who log advertising bots into chat suddenly faced the potential of losing a lot of money.
So they manually logged in 1000's of ID's to lock out the rooms in an almost denial of service attack.
How they avoid being swept out of the room on the 3-hour sweep I don't know. But each one 'appears' to have the cam on. Could there be a loop hole in the protocols?

This is the rumour and it is not substantiated at all so don't take this as a truth, it's merely a possibility.

I usually chat in China rooms - but rooms 1 -15 are totally locked out and rooms 16 - 30 are almost full with these 'stuck ID's'. I know it's the same in many other room categories too.

PS: NOTE TO AZWENCH:

I was going to start this as a topic in the yakety yak - looks like others experiences the same problem pre empted me and started the topic here.

HuniDee

Dang Yahoo

Post by HuniDee » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:18 pm

It seems to be wide spread.

I chat in a few US rooms and European rooms and the same problem. The lower number rooms are full and the ones you can get into have no one chatting. Must be the spammers locked in there with their cams on so they don't get booted.

This is such a frustrating situation. But what can you expect from free chat? :roll:

azwench

Post by azwench » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:42 pm

storm wrote:PS: NOTE TO AZWENCH:

I was going to start this as a topic in the yakety yak - looks like others experiences the same problem pre empted me and started the topic here.
I just love being able to move topics around if I need to so here it is where it should be, Storm :wink:
+*¨^¨*+ Tam +*¨^¨*+
http://www.azwench.com/index.html
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits -- Albert Einstein

storm

Post by storm » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:49 pm

Yeah, I do th same on my board.
ggrr off topics :P

for my next trick, a square peg in a round hole :P
A super-calloused fragile mystic, hexed by halitosis.

storm

Post by storm » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:37 pm

Last I checked - 23:00 UK time
The rooms have been cleared out.
If it was a protocol error maybe it's fixed now
If it was a spammer denial of service attack, I suppose they could start again. :(

azwench

Post by azwench » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:41 pm

storm wrote:Last I checked - 23:00 UK time
The rooms have been cleared out.
If it was a protocol error maybe it's fixed now
If it was a spammer denial of service attack, I suppose they could start again. :(
It already has, there was a clown in the room with filler bots and voice bots so they've gotten around the captcha obviously.

Zak has it built into the captcha box to lock the number so you can use it over and over again rather than typing a new one in all the time with the past few updates. We knew it was just a matter of time before they worked it out.
+*¨^¨*+ Tam +*¨^¨*+
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits -- Albert Einstein

storm

Post by storm » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:40 am

I don't believe the bots have a text reader to defeat the yahoo captcha.
they do on the php one. I removed mine and inserted one they haven't broken with updatable fonts.

Any bots you see in the yahoo rooms have been logged in by human hands.

azwench

Post by azwench » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:55 am

storm wrote:I don't believe the bots have a text reader to defeat the yahoo captcha.
they do on the php one. I removed mine and inserted one they haven't broken with updatable fonts.

Any bots you see in the yahoo rooms have been logged in by human hands.
If that's the case, they're some pretty determined morons :D
+*¨^¨*+ Tam +*¨^¨*+